Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tears at the Beach.........

This post was originally going to be a quick followup and a recap of my little adventure to San Francisco last week, but I cannot talk about the joys of seeing my son and everything I did during those two days without first acknowledging the terrible tragedy that took place on Friday.

I was actually fairly disconnected that day. I was listening to music on my iPod in the car, so I had no exposure to the news. A quick scan of Facebook on my phone was where I discovered that innocent children had been violently killed earlier in the day.

As a mother, this sort of news is extremely difficult to digest. The parents of these children sent them to school that day assuming their safety was guaranteed. When this sort of thing happens, I am reminded again that there are no guarantees and I would kidding myself if I thought I had any control over the health and safety of my own grown children.

In a few days, for the first time since last Christmas, I will have both my children home at the same time, sleeping under my roof. This visit will be extra special and the hugs I give them will last a little longer and be a little tighter than normal. I also know that the day will come when one or both of them will have other plans for the holidays and I will have to be ok with that.

But for now, my heart breaks for the parents in Newtown while at the same time my gratitude for my own children is pouring out of every cell in my body.

It is also at times like these that I am reminded how important it is to stay present and live this day the best I can. What happened yesterday cannot be undone, and what happens in the future is, for the most part, out of my hands.

As difficult as Friday was, I did experience quite a bit of magic and joy that day.  But first a very brief summary of Thursday...........

Like I mentioned in that last post, my first stop on the way to SF was Berkeley to see the "Third Wave" exhibit of iPhone art. The traffic in Berkeley was pretty bad, but it was worth it. The show was great and very inspiring, and I had a nice long chat with the curator, Knox Bronson. If you want to read more about the show and see some of the images, click here: The Iphone Arts

It was smooth sailing over the bridge into San Francisco where I found my hotel and proceeded to look for parking. I did some serious praying to the parking gods and was granted a space that only took 7 attempts to parallel park in.

After dinner with my son and his girlfriend, we went to the show. I would call the venue an "alternative space", but it was perfect for his work. The lighting wasn't great but I could tell he was pleased with the way the whole thing turned out. It was a fun night, but being one of the oldest people there, I am sure it was expected that I would leave fairly early, and I did. Here are a few photos from the show:

The next morning I had a fantastic breakfast at a corner cafe, checked out of my hotel and decided to head over to the Palace of Fine Arts which I haven't photographed since they finished the restoration work.  The last time I was there I had to shoot around a fence and scaffolding. All of that is gone, but instead, it started raining.

To be honest, I think that worked out better for me because I had to be a little more creative. Here are a couple of my favorite shots including a rare image with people in it.......

©2012 Dianne Poinski

©2012 Dianne Poinski

The rain stopped and the clouds began to break up as I made my way over the Golden Gate Bridge. I pulled over at the vista point on the other side, and along with all the other tourists stopped to take a photograph of this.....................

©2012 Dianne Poinski

The next stop was the Marin Headlands. The ocean never fails to recharge my physical and emotional batteries. This trip turned out to be extra special...................

©2012 Dianne Poinski

©2012 Dianne Poinski

©2012 Dianne Poinski

This is me, sitting on a log looking out toward the ocean. The beach was empty, and as I sat there I thought I saw movement out in the water. A couple of minutes later and I was sure................  Fairly close to the shore were at least three, maybe four, dolphins! It was a beautiful dance to observe. That  display of nature, coupled with the news of the morning brought tears to my eyes and I sat there for a long time.

Later on I saw a couple with binoculars and asked them if I had in fact seen dolphins and was thrilled when they confirmed that yes, I had!

It was hard to take my eyes off of the amazing sky as I headed home. I stopped numerous times and took many photos. 

All of the images in this post were made with my iPhone. I had my Nikon, but did not notice until it was too late that my battery was close to dead.

©2012 Dianne Poinski

©2012 Dianne Poinski
I have passed by this a hundred times.......it was fun to finally get a shot of it.
It's also one of the first times I used the camera in HDR Pro

So as the rest of the country grappled with the unthinkable, I was experiencing magic, freedom and doing what I love. I am feeling a little guilty about that, but me going home to watch events unfold on  television would have not helped anyone. Instead, I chose to capture a little of the joy and beauty I experienced and share it with all of you. What else could I have done?


  1. You were clearly inspired, these images are so lovely and emotive. Not many photographers can get this much emotion out of a simple drive home. Well done.