©2009 Linda Erickson
My brand new workshop – “Photographing and Hand-Coloring Flowers” was this weekend and went off with only a few minor glitches. Everything went pretty smoothly, which was a relief. One of my biggest concerns had to do with the logistics of how it would all go together and for the most part, it flowed fairly well.
The day started with a very brief introduction and then I had them pair up to shoot at one of 3 stations I had set up. One station was for macro work, another one had a larger table and backdrop and the third was used for smaller set ups. Everyone had a chance to try each station.
I had created a few arrangements the day before, but it didn’t take long for them to start adding to and taking away from what I had put together. This was exactly what I wanted them to do!
The next step was to upload their images and have them choose one that I would print later that night. This step could have gone a little smoother. I had everyone shoot in raw - which for this class, I don’t think was necessary. Uploading those huge files took quite awhile. It was fine though. It was such a great group that everyone just sat around visiting and sharing tips and ideas about photography and life in general.
On Sunday I brought in their prints, ready to hand-color, and loved what they created!
I am pretty sure I will be doing this workshop again. A few of the changes I will make include fresher flowers, more props and smaller files.
Update - I have scored some storage space! It might be temporary, but at least for the time being, I can leave all my lights, backdrops, vases, etc. – upstairs by my studio. This not only means preparing for my next class will be easier, but I can also take my own floral photographs in my studio and not worry about schlepping all my equipment up and down the stairs!
Thanks again to everyone that participated. You were all wonderfully creative, patient and a lot of fun!